Edith, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Edith was on what is now State Highway 158 south of E. V. Spence Reservoir nine miles west of Robert Lee in west central Coke County. The community began during the 1880s when cattlemen and stock-farming settlers came into the area, and it grew to include a store, gin, blacksmith shop, church, and lodge hall. A post office was established there on February 14, 1890, and named for Edith Bonsall of Ballinger. Three rural schools were located in the area. An early recreation spot near the community was Dripping Springs, where seeping springs along canyon walls produced a profusion of ferns. Economic changes in the twentieth century and the nearness of the county seat, Robert Lee, kept the community from growing. In the 1950s and 1960s the settlement reported one business and a population of twenty-five. Its post office closed in 1955. By the 1970s the town was abandoned. County maps for the 1980s show only the Edith cemetery near Salt Creek within a mile of E. V. Spence Reservoir.

Jewell G. Pritchett, From the Top of Old Hayrick: A Narrative History of Coke County (Abilene, Texas: Pritchett, 1980).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Edith, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/edith-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Edith
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378241
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Coke County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.90347480°
  • Longitude: -100.61065800°