Edna Hill, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Edna Hill is on Farm Road 1702 nine miles south of Dublin in the southwestern corner of Erath County. The area was settled in the 1850s. By 1900 Edna Hill School was in operation there, and a cotton gin was located in the community soon thereafter. The school had three teachers and eighty-five pupils in 1935. In 1940 Edna Hill had a school, two churches, and scattered dwellings. The school was consolidated with the Dublin schools in the 1940s. The population of the community was estimated at thirty-two in 1966, and in 1979 Edna Hill had a church and scattered dwellings. The population was still estimated at thirty-two in 2000.

Henry Herbert Miller, A Proposed Consolidation Plan for the Schools of Erath County, Texas (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1938).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Edna Hill, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/edna-hill-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Edna Hill
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378242
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Erath County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.95653560°
  • Longitude: -98.33031970°
Population Counts
People Year
32 2009