El Frieda, TX

By: Rachel Jenkins

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


El Frieda was on the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway near East Carancahua Creek four miles west of Blessing in northwestern Matagorda County. A townsite was platted for John W. Gaines in 1909, and though there is no record of any substantial construction at the site, a July 1917 Matagorda County Tribune reported El Frieda's population as ranging somewhere between fifty and 100. El Frieda is not named on the 1936 county highway map, but the map shows scattered farms in the area, concentrated along a network of graded and drained roads. The community does not appear on the 1989 county highway map.

Matagorda County Historical Commission, Historic Matagorda County (3 vols., Houston: Armstrong, 1986).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Rachel Jenkins, “El Frieda, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/el-frieda-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Loading