El Oso, TX


By: Robert H. Thonhoff

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


El Oso, on Farm Road 626 a mile north of Zunkerville in the southwestern corner of Karnes County, was the site of a general merchandise store and a cotton gin built in the 1920s to serve the surrounding farming community. Estimates of El Oso's population remained at fifty from the mid-1940s through the mid-1960s, after which no population figures were available. After the drought of the 1950s the nearby farms were abandoned, and El Oso's store and gin were closed. In 1971 a group of citizens from El Oso were instrumental in creating the El Oso Water Supply Corporation, which furnished water for many residents of Karnes County. In 2000 the population was thirty-five.

Robert H. Thonhoff, History of Karnes County (M.A. thesis, Southwest Texas State College, 1963).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert H. Thonhoff, “El Oso, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 26, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/el-oso-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
El Oso
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379707
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Karnes County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 28.73498280°
  • Longitude: -98.00222590°
Population Counts
People Year
35 2014