The El Paso and Southwestern Railroad Company of Texas was chartered on June 6, 1902, to operate a railroad between the Texas-New Mexico border and El Paso. The initial capital was $2,000,000, and the business office was in El Paso. Members of the first board of directors included William G. Choate, Charles R. Morehead, N. S. Stewart, and Millard Patterson, all of El Paso, and James Douglas, William E. Dodge, and W. Willis James, all of New York City. The El Paso and Southwestern Railroad Company of Texas acquired the El Paso Terminal Company on February 9, 1903, and placed the line in service on March 1. The railroad ran from El Paso to the Texas and New Mexico boundary located at the center of the 1,692 foot bridge across the Rio Grande. At this point it connected with the El Paso and Southwestern Railroad Company. The Texas company was owned by and was operated as an integral part of the El Paso and Southwestern, which initially consisted of a route between El Paso and Tucson, Arizona. On November 18, 1937, the El Paso and Southwestern of Texas acquired the assets of the El Paso and Northeastern Railroad Company and bought the capital stock of the El Paso Southern Railway Company on December 13, 1954. In 1924 the Southern Pacific Company acquired control of the El Paso and Southwestern system. The El Paso and Southwestern of Texas was operated under lease until it was merged into the Southern Pacific Company on November 1, 1961.
Is history important to you?
We need your support because we are a non-profit organization that relies upon contributions from our community in order to record and preserve the history of our state. Every dollar helps.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
“El Paso and Southwestern Railroad,”
Handbook of Texas Online,
accessed June 28, 2022,
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Original Publication Date:
Most Recent Revision Date:
October 1, 1995