Elderville is off State Highway 322 just west of the Gregg County Airport in southeastern Gregg County. It was established in the late 1840s and named for one Colonel Brown, an early settler. Portions of the extended community were known at various times as Brown's Settlement, Brown's Bluff, or the Colonel Brown Community. A post office called Brown's Bluff opened there in 1874. Around 1875 its name was changed to Iron Bridge and in 1887 to Elderville. By 1890 the community had a steam gristmill, a cotton gin, three churches, two schools, a general store, and an estimated population of 200. By the early 1920s Elderville reported ninety-six inhabitants and four businesses. After World War II much of the area became part of the Gregg County Airport. In the early 1990s Elderville was a dispersed rural community.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Christopher Long, “Elderville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 29, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/elderville-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.