Ellen, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Ellen is on Farm Road 784 fifteen miles southeast of Plainview in eastern Hale County. Early residents in the area included the Churchwell, Beard, Whitney, Faytinger, Daugherty, Line, and Young families. The community was named for Ellen White, wife of Edward M. White, who started the town of Petersburg, Texas. An Ellen post office opened in May 1904 with Carl W. Richardson as postmaster; it closed in January 1923. A school was started at Ellen in 1905; in April 1917 the Ellen Common School District was established. The Ellen school was also used as a church and community center. The district was consolidated with that of Petersburg in the mid-1940s. In the mid-1980s Ellen still appeared on county maps, although no town landmarks were evident.

Mary L. Cox, History of Hale County, Texas (Plainview, Texas, 1937). Jim Wheat, Postmasters and Post Offices of Texas, 1846–1930 (Microfilm, Grover C. Ramsey Papers, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Ellen, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ellen-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Ellen
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379712
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hale County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 34.02146560°
  • Longitude: -101.62655750°