Ellis Chapel, TX


By: Diana J. Kleiner

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Ellis Chapel was just south of Farm Road 1395 and twelve miles northwest of Canton in northwestern Van Zandt County. It had a school in 1890 that reached an enrollment of fifty-one in 1905. In 1917 Ellis Chapel merged with Woodall to form Elwood. A cemetery was still shown at the site on county highway maps in the late 1980s.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Diana J. Kleiner, “Ellis Chapel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ellis-chapel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Ellis Chapel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1335329
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Van Zandt County
Associated Names

Elwood

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.73373860°
  • Longitude: -95.91774420°