Ellison Springs, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Ellison Springs was off Farm Road 8 four miles northeast of Gorman in southeastern Eastland County. It was named for the perpetual springs that flowed from a nearby stone ledge, themselves named for the first settler on the site, James Madison Ellison, who built a cabin by the springs in 1858. In August 1864 Ellison and other ranchers fought a skirmish with Indian raiders near the site. Brush-arbor camp meetings were held by the springs in the 1870s, and about 1876 a Baptist church was built and a cemetery was begun in the community. The community had a number of scattered dwellings in 1940, but only the Ellison Springs Cemetery remained on the site by 1968.

Edwin T. Cox, History of Eastland County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1950). Eastland County Historical Book Committee, Gateway to the West: Eastland County History, Vol. 1 (Eastland, Texas, 1989).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Ellison Springs, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ellison-springs-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Ellison Springs
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034968
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Eastland County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.24152550°
  • Longitude: -98.63116550°