Elm Grove, TX (Hayes County) (Hays County)


By: Henry C. Armbruster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: August 1, 1995


Elm Grove, four miles west of Buda and sixteen miles northeast of San Marcos in northern Hays County, had a one-room school in 1871 on four acres donated by David William Crews. The Elm Grove school district was formed on October 21, 1876. Elm Grove was reportedly the largest public school community in the county in the late 1870s, when the school had some sixty-three students. In 1945 the Elm Grove school was consolidated with that of Buda. The Elm Grove school building was burned by vandals in the 1960s.

Mary Starr Barkley, A History of Central Texas (Austin: Austin Printing, 1970). Dudley Richard Dobie, A Brief History of Hays County and San Marcos, Texas (San Marcos, 1948).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Henry C. Armbruster, “Elm Grove, TX (Hayes County) (Hays County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 26, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/elm-grove-tx-hayes-county-hays-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
August 1, 1995

Place
Elm Grove
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Hays County