Elmdale, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Elmdale was on the Missouri Pacific Railroad and Farm Road 18 in northeastern Taylor County. It began as a stop on the Texas and Pacific Railway in the early 1880s. According to some sources, early travelers saw a mirage of elm trees at the site and called it Elmdale; other sources claim there actually were elms there in the early years of settlement. A one-room school building was erected in Elmdale in 1895, and by 1902 the school had thirty-six pupils and one teacher. Baptist, Methodist, and Church of Christ congregations met in the school. A post office was opened in the community in 1905, and by 1914 Elmdale had a population of twenty, a grocery store, and a general store. In 1919 the old plank school was replaced by a new brick building. A Baptist church was built in 1924, and a larger building was constructed in the 1930s. The post office closed in 1927, and by 1940 the community consisted of the church, the school, one business, and a number of scattered dwellings. The school closed after a fire in 1969. By the 1980s the site was within the Abilene city limits. In 2000 the population was fifty.

Juanita Daniel Zachry, A History of Rural Taylor County (Burnet, Texas: Nortex, 1980).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Elmdale, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/elmdale-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Elmdale
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378257
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Taylor County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.43068180°
  • Longitude: -99.63980750°