Eloise, TX


By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Eloise is on Farm Road 1373 fourteen miles southeast of Marlin in southern Falls County. It was established as a post office in 1900 on the proposed route of the Calvert, Waco and Brazos Valley Railroad, which completed a section of track from Calvert Junction to Marlin the following year. The population was 20 in 1925, 75 in the late 1930s, and 100 in the mid-1940s. The post office at Eloise was discontinued in the early 1950s, and the population began to fall soon thereafter. By the mid-1960s the number of residents was reported at forty-seven. From 1970 through 1990 the reported population was forty-one. In 2000 the population had dropped to twenty-nine.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Eloise, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed July 07, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/eloise-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Eloise
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379721
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Falls County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.12296030°
  • Longitude: -96.80859280°
Population Counts
People Year
19 2014