Elwood, TX (Fannin County)


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Elwood is on Farm Road 2554 fifteen miles north of Bonham in north central Fannin County near the Oklahoma border. The community formed in the late 1860s and early 1870s when James S. Baker, a Presbyterian minister, and his nephew, William R. Baker, established homesteads in the area. Elwood soon became a community center for area farmers. From 1871 to 1909 it had a post office, and in the 1930s it had a school, a church, a cemetery, at least one business, and a number of dwellings. From the 1930s through 1990 Elwood's population was reported at between thirty and forty. The 1987 county highway map showed only a cemetery at the site. In 2000 the population was thirty-one.

Fannin County Folks and Facts (Dallas: Taylor, 1977).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Elwood, TX (Fannin County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 22, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/elwood-tx-fannin-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Elwood
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379724
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Fannin County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.81176670°
  • Longitude: -96.07386750°
Population Counts
People Year
31 2014