Emblem, TX

By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Font size: A / A reset

Emblem, a farming community on State Highway 71 some twelve miles northwest of Sulphur Springs in northwestern Hopkins County, was founded by G. D. Kennemore in 1876. A Baptist church was organized at the settlement in 1883. T. J. Ross had a store and gin there and became postmaster when a post office was established in 1892. By 1905 the community had a school, which that year had an enrollment of forty-eight. The Emblem post office closed in 1906. By the mid-1930s the community had two churches, a school, and a number of scattered houses. The school was later closed, but in 1985 the community still had two churches and a cemetery. In 1990 and 2000 Emblem reported a population of fifty-two.

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Emblem, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 18, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/emblem-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Loading