Eminence, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Eminence is west of Farm Road 563 and south of Interstate Highway 10, forty-six miles east of Houston in northern Chambers County. The Eminence post office operated from 1898 until 1909. By 1939 a filling station-general store, a school, and a church marked the site at Eminence. A sawmill, operated by J. E. Cline, opened in 1940. By the mid-1970s the Eminence church, several cemeteries, and widely scattered buildings were all that remained.

Jewel Horace Harry, A History of Chambers County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940; rpt., Dallas: Taylor, 1981).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Eminence, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/eminence-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Eminence
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1335440
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Chambers County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.83383170°
  • Longitude: -94.69130780°