The Emporia and Gulf Railroad Company was chartered on August 18, 1900, to connect Emporia, Angelina County, with Prescott, twenty-five miles to the east. The capital stock was $100,000, and the principal place of business was Emporia. Members of the first board of directors were Samuel F. Carter, J. P. Carter, E. L. Crooker, L. Davidson, W. B. Banks, E. J. Mantooth, and E. W. Scott. In 1900 the railroad built fifteen miles of track between Emporia and Crooker, and the following year it was reclassified as a logging operation.