Energy, TX


By: Tracey L. Compton

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Energy is on Farm Road 1702 sixteen miles southeast of Comanche in Comanche County. It was established around 1896 and was reportedly named for its energetic residents by Will and Charlie Baxter, store owners in the area. The community's post office opened about 1896, with John W. Moore as postmaster. The population of Energy was reported as sixty-seven in 1940 and sixty-five in 1990, when the post office was still in operation. The population remained at sixty-five in 2000.

Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas (Brownwood, Texas: Banner Printing, 1976).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Tracey L. Compton, “Energy, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/energy-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Energy
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
2034982
Town Fields
  • Has post office: Yes
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Comanche County
Associated Names

Slick Hill

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.76292950°
  • Longitude: -98.36920680°
Population Counts
People Year
70 2009