Ensign, TX


By: Lisa C. Maxwell

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Ensign was on Cummins Creek and Ensign Road four miles south of Ennis in southeastern Ellis County. About 1895 Albert N. Ellison built a small store in the area, and in 1896 a local post office opened, with Ellison as the postmaster. The store in which it was located changed owners and postmasters several times before the post office was discontinued in 1904. In 1899 a fifty-six member singing school was organized in the community's church. By the early 1900s Ensign had several blacksmith shops, a cotton gin, a Fraternal Union Lodge, and, a half mile north of the business district, the Antioch Baptist Church. In 1933 the community reported one business and an estimated population of twenty. From 1970 to 1990 Ensign's population was estimated at ten, and the community no longer reported a business.

Edna Davis Hawkins, et al., History of Ellis County, Texas (Waco: Texian, 1972).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Lisa C. Maxwell, “Ensign, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed August 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ensign-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Ensign
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378267
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Ellis County
Associated Names

Burnam

Cummins' Creek

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.26542440°
  • Longitude: -96.61554480°