Andrew Nelson Erskine, Texas Ranger, surveyor, and Confederate soldier, was born in Sweet Springs, Monroe County, Virginia, on March 12, 1826, the fifth of ten children born to Agnes D. (Haynes) and Michael H. Erskine. The family moved in 1831 to Kitchens Ranch near Huntsville, Alabama, and again in 1834 to Bolivar, Mississippi. In 1839 they settled on Arenosa Creek in Jackson County, Texas. Their home was attacked on August 6, 1840, by a Comanche scouting party on its way to Linnville (see LINNVILLE RAID OF 1840). Shortly thereafter the family moved west into what was to become Guadalupe County. By the time he was seventeen, Erskine had joined a company of Texas Rangers under John Coffee (Jack) Hays and fought in the battle of Salado Creek. He returned to Seguin, became a surveyor under the tutorship of James P. Hector, and surveyed land for Hector and for Jacob de Cordova. In 1847, in company with his brother John P., he surveyed lands of Castro's colony for the German Immigration Company of Hamburg.
On December 27, 1847, Erskine married Ann Theresa Johnson of Seguin; they had five sons. The couple first made their home on the ranch of Michael Erskine at the Capote Hills. In 1852 they moved to Mill Point on the Guadalupe River west of Seguin, where Erskine took over the management of a gristmill and ferry owned by his father-in-law, Joseph F. Johnson. In the succeeding years he built a sawmill and cotton gin and ran a stage stand and inn. This locality subsequently became known as Erskine's Ferry. In 1856 he was elected county clerk of Guadalupe County. In 1859 he served as lieutenant in the company of Andrew Herron under John S. Ford against the invasion of Juan N. Cortina on the Rio Grande. Erskine enlisted in Hood's Texas Brigade in 1862 for service to the Confederacy. In company with his brother Alexander M. he arrived at Richmond in time to take part in the Seven Days' Battle, June 26-July 2, 1862. He fought in the battle of Second Manassas and was killed at the battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam) on the morning of September 17, 1862.