Esbon, TX


By: Alice Gray Upchurch

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Esbon, near San Fernando Creek in northwestern Llano County, was originally called Simpson's Bend for five Simpson brothers who settled at the site. The settlement was a post office as early as 1904, and Jeff Harlow, the postmaster, built a gin there by 1914. Esbon reported a store and a population of twenty-five from 1933 to the late 1940s; during the mid-1960s its population was estimated at thirty. In the early 1980s the Esbon community was named on county highway maps, but no buildings were shown at the site.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Alice Gray Upchurch, “Esbon, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/esbon-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Esbon
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Llano County
Associated Names

Almon

Bristow

Simpson's Bend

Slayden

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.86192600°
  • Longitude: -98.92180900°