Ethel, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Ethel is on Farm Road 902 fourteen miles southwest of Sherman in southwestern Grayson County. The community developed in the late 1850s as ranchers and lumbermen converged. John Dishman constructed a gin, and a school was built on the ranch of S. A. Schott. In 1885 a post office opened; the name Ethel was submitted by W. H. Burgin, who owned the general store and became the first postmaster. By 1900 the number of residents had increased to eighty-one. The post office closed in 1902. From 1930 until 1990 the population was estimated at twenty-five. In 2000 the population was forty.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Ethel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ethel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Ethel
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1357088
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Grayson County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.54372020°
  • Longitude: -96.84416580°
Population Counts
People Year
40 2014