Etter, TX


By: H. Allen Anderson

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Etter, on U.S. Highway 287 in northern Moore County, was established as a stop on the North Plains and Santa Fe Railroad in 1930 and was named for W. K. Etter, a vice president of the road. Later the Chicago, Rock Island and Gulf Railway intersected the Santa Fe at this point. In 1940 Etter comprised the railroad switch, three businesses, and a reported population of 150. When the Cactus industrial community was established to the north in 1942, Etter's businesses and many of its residents were absorbed into the new town. In 1980 and 1990 Etter reported a population of 160.

Myrna Tryon Thomas, The Windswept Land: A History of Moore City (Dumas, Texas, 1967).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

H. Allen Anderson, “Etter, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/etter-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Etter
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1357091
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Moore County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 36.02698010°
  • Longitude: -101.99962170°