Evergreen was on the border of Washington and Lee counties. The area was first settled during the period of Stephen F. Austin's colony in what later became far western Washington County. In the early period of colonization the locality was called Waco Spring. In 1837 Waco Spring was the site of a famous battle between the Waco Indians and Tonkawa Indians, who had inhabited the central area of Washington County before Anglo settlement of the region. Evergreen had a post office between 1858 and 1877, and at one time had several stores, but they had closed by 1876. The exact site of the community is unknown, but it is probably covered by Somerville Lake.