Everitt, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Everitt was in a dense thicket nine miles southwest of Coldspring in southwestern San Jacinto County. It was named for W. N. Everitt, who moved to the area in the late 1880s. He also served as the first postmaster for the Everitt post office, established in 1890. Everitt had a peak population of 300 during the early twentieth century. As the Great Depression devastated San Jacinto County agriculture and lumbering, however, the population of Everitt fell rapidly. The post office was discontinued in 1929, and by the late 1940s Everitt no longer appeared on lists of Texas towns.

Ruth Hansbro, History of San Jacinto County (M.A. thesis, Sam Houston State Teachers College, 1940).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Everitt, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/everitt-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Everitt
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • San Jacinto County
Associated Names

Magnolia

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.48325900°
  • Longitude: -95.19354900°