Ezzell, TX


By: Evelyn Turk

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Ezzell is on Farm Road 531 ten miles south of Hallettsville and two miles north of the Lavaca River in southern Lavaca County. It is the oldest settled area in the county. Families from Stephen F. Austin's colony settled at the site between 1830 and 1836 and traded at Petersburg, the old county seat, six miles to the north, until Sam and Ira Ezzell started a store during the Civil War. A private school taught by literate slaves operated at Ezzell. After the war, school was held in church buildings until 1883. In 1980 Ezzell had a population of fifty-five, a church, a school, and no businesses. The population was still reported as fifty-five in 2000.

Paul C. Boethel, The History of Lavaca County (San Antonio: Naylor, 1936; rev. ed., Austin: Von Boeckmann-Jones, 1959).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Evelyn Turk, “Ezzell, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 26, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ezzell-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Ezzell
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379744
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Lavaca County
Associated Names

Green Grove

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 29.28247020°
  • Longitude: -96.90081450°
Population Counts
People Year
55 2009