Fairview, TX (Brazos County)

By: Laurie E. Jasinski

Type: General Entry

Published: July 8, 2005

Updated: August 2, 2020


Fairview is a rural community located on State Highway 21 about four miles southwest of downtown Bryan in western Brazos County. An African-American farming settlement had existed there for several decades by the early 1930s when a school was established. Resident Evelyn Hall suggested the name of Fairview for the school. In 1945 Fairview Baptist Church was established, and a church building was constructed the following year. In the mid-1900s the two-room school operated as a day care center after students were bussed to nearby Bryan. The community also had a grocery store operated by Allen Smothers. By the late 1900s the school building was used as a community center. No population estimates were available for Fairview in 2000.

Glenna Fourman Brundidge, Brazos County History: Rich Past—Bright Future (Bryan, Texas: Family History Foundation, 1986).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Laurie E. Jasinski, “Fairview, TX (Brazos County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed September 23, 2021, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fairview-tx-brasos-county-brazos-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

July 8, 2005
August 2, 2020

Loading