Fancher, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Fancher, southwest of the site of what is now Seymour in western Baylor County, served as a stop for the Wichita Valley line after the train built through the area in 1908. A school was built in 1918 on land given by Alex Fancher, for whom the community was apparently named, and remained active until 1929. The community still functioned as a railroad station in the early 1950s, although 1980 county maps gave no evidence of its former location.

Baylor County Historical Society, Salt Pork to Sirloin, Vol. 1: The History of Baylor County, Texas, from 1879 to 1930 (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1972); Vol. 2: The History of Baylor County, Texas, from 1878 to Present (1977).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Fancher, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fancher-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Fancher
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1998596
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Baylor County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.53037290°
  • Longitude: -99.31146580°