Fant, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Fant, four miles south of Linden in southern Cass County, was probably named for James C. Fant, who ran the post office, which was established in 1894 and discontinued in 1901. The community was likely at its largest in 1896, when it had an estimated population of 100 and a Baptist church, flour mill, gin, and general store. Fant was connected to Linden by a triweekly mail stage that ran through Kildare and charged a fare of seventy-five cents. The reasons for the decline of Fant are unknown, but by 1936 the town had ceased to exist as a named community.

Wright Patman, History of Post Offices-First Congressional District of Texas (Texarkana, Texas, 1946?).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Fant, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 25, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fant-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Fant
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Cass County
Associated Names

Crow

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.95795900°
  • Longitude: -94.36702600°