Fargo, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Fargo is on Farm Road 924 ten miles north of Vernon in northern Wilbarger County. It was established on a stage line from Wichita Falls to Mobeetie about 1883. A school known as Richland was built there in 1889, and a post office was added on April 15, 1894. By 1900 the town had grown to include a store and post office, a gin, and several church groups. Although the post office was moved to Tolbert in 1915, the population reached 200 during the 1940s, where it remained through the 1960s. Northside School replaced the Fargo district in 1935. In 1986 the town had a Northside Oil Company office and a pump station, the Fargo Church of Christ (founded in 1889), the Fargo Methodist Church (1887), the Fargo Baptist Church (1904), and the Northside School. The population was estimated at 161 from 1986 through 2000.

Wilbarger County Historical Commission, Wilbarger County (Lubbock, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Fargo, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fargo-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Fargo
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1357231
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Wilbarger County
Associated Names

Center

Richland

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 34.29480510°
  • Longitude: -99.27758290°
Population Counts
People Year
169 2009