Farris Chapel, TX


By: James L. Hailey

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Farris Chapel is on Farm Road 1791 two miles north of the Montgomery county line in southwestern Walker County. Among the earliest settlers in the area were Hezekiah Farris and his brother William, former residents of Franklin County, Tennessee, who arrived in 1835 and were soon joined by other Tennesseans. In 1841 Farris and his neighbors built a church on the north bank of West Sandy Creek. Services were conducted by Methodists, Baptists, and Presbyterians in the building. However, after the Civil War the Baptists built their own building, and residents of the area supported a school based in the Methodist church. In 1880 a new church building was erected to replace the old structure. In 1990 Farris Chapel Methodist Church remained a place of worship for the community, and the cemetery was still used.

D'Anne McAdams Crews, ed., Huntsville and Walker County, Texas: A Bicentennial History (Huntsville, Texas: Sam Houston State University, 1976). Walker County Genealogical Society and Walker County Historical Commission, Walker County (Dallas, 1986).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

James L. Hailey, “Farris Chapel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/farris-chapel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Farris Chapel
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Walker County
Associated Names

-Store

Cecil

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 30.60492010°
  • Longitude: -95.72466950°