Ferguson, TX


By: Robert Wooster

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Ferguson, south of Turpentine in northwestern Jasper County, was established in 1928 as a postal stop for the nearby lumber camp at New Blox and named for W. A. Ferguson, its first postmaster. The population at Ferguson grew to about fifty before New Blox was abandoned by the loggers in the mid-1930s. The Ferguson post office was removed in 1933. By 1949 Ferguson was no longer listed in the Texas Almanac's list of towns and post office villages.

Jasper County Scrapbook, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Robert Wooster, “Ferguson, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/ferguson-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Ferguson
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1381867
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Jasper County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.03602930°
  • Longitude: -94.13935920°