Fink, TX (Grayson County)


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Fink is a farming community just off Farm Road 120 twelve miles northeast of Sherman in north central Grayson County. The community began to form in the late 1850s when farm families from Mississippi settled in the area. The settlement was named for Fred Fink, a member of this group. No established community center developed there until the late 1860s or early 1870s, when W. J. Bilderback opened a general store. From 1897 to 1903 the settlement had postal service. The community's population has never exceeded fifty; in 1936 it was estimated at fifteen. Fink's population was estimated at twenty-five for most of the period from the mid-1940s to the mid-1970s, after which no figures were available. The community is labeled on the 1984 county highway map, but no buildings are shown at the site. The Sixty-sixth Texas Legislature designated every fourth Friday in June as Fink Day in Texas, in recognition of the "National Fink Week" celebration held by Finks, during which the roads to Fink "are overflowing with Finks and Fink well-wishers." The event has drawn national attention.

Grayson County Frontier Village, History of Grayson County, Texas (2 vols., Winston-Salem, North Carolina: Hunter, 1979, 1981).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Fink, TX (Grayson County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 16, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fink-tx-grayson-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Fink
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379765
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Grayson County
Associated Names

Georgetown

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.80371440°
  • Longitude: -96.67721860°