Finney, TX (King County)


By: Edloe A. Jenkins

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Finney is on Farm Road 193 100 miles northeast of Lubbock in King County. The community is in the fertile, rolling country between Grow and Dumont and derives its name from Finney Springs. Settlers in the area during the early 1900s had to send their children several miles to school until about 1912, when the Finney school district was organized and a school building was constructed on land donated by John F. Gibson. The Finney school was consolidated with the Guthrie district in 1954. The number of residents was estimated at 100 in the 1960s, but declined thereafter. Finney had a population of seventy from 1970 to 1990 but did not have a rated business in 1980.

King County Historical Society, King County: Windmills and Barbed Wire (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1976).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Edloe A. Jenkins, “Finney, TX (King County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 30, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/finney-tx-king-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Finney
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379767
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • King County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.78147130°
  • Longitude: -100.37983660°