Fischer, twenty miles northwest of New Braunfels in the Hill Country of northern Comal County, developed in the 1850s as a supply center on the Devil's Backbone section of the road between San Marcos and Blanco. The site, settled by Hermann Fischer in 1853, became known as Fischer's Store when Fischer built a log trading post to serve the frontier community. Potters Creek School opened for local children in 1875, and a year later the Fischer's Store post office was established. Fischer Store School replaced Potters Creek in 1888, and after World War II Fischer became the center of a school district for northern Comal County. At the request of postal officials the community's name has changed twice: in 1894 Fischer's Store became Fischer Store, and in 1950 the name was shortened to Fischer. Sources in the 1960s reported that the Fischer family had held the local postmastership continuously since 1876. Fischer recorded a population of forty or fifty for most of the twentieth century but fell to twenty in the mid-1960s as Canyon Lake, four miles to the south, began filling. In 1967 Fischer was described just as it might have been a hundred years earlier—a country store and post office at a rural crossroads. Its population was listed as twenty from 1967 through 2000.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Daniel P. Greene, “Fischer, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 30, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fischer-tx.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.