John T. P. Fitzhugh, physician and soldier at San Jacinto, was born in Prince William County, Virginia, in 1815 and immigrated to Texas in 1835. At Nacogdoches on January 14, 1836, he enrolled for six months as a private in the Volunteer Auxiliary Corps. Later he served as assistant surgeon under William Francis H. Davidson on the staff of Col. Edward Burleson, commander of the First Regiment, Texas Volunteers. At the battle of San Jacinto, having received no orders, Fitzhugh and the other medical officers advanced with the Texas troops, ready to treat the wounded or take part in the fighting as need be. Fitzhugh entered the fight at the center of the Mexican line.
His brother Wesley was a private in Capt. Gustavus A. Parker's company of Georgia volunteers and later a "surgeon dentist" in Brig. Gen. Thomas J. Green's Second Brigade of the Army of the Republic of Texas. Wesley Fitzhugh died on September 11, 1836. After leaving the army John Fitzhugh practiced medicine in Bastrop County for five years. He was in Bastrop as late as January 22, 1840, when he made application to become administrator of his brother's estate; both he and his brother had received bounty donations in Van Zandt County. By 1858 he had returned to Prince Edward County, Virginia, and the following year was living in Canton, Mississippi. He was still living there in 1874, when he became a member of the Texas Veterans Association, but by October 1877 he had moved to Warren County, Mississippi.