Flat Fork, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Flat Fork is on State Highway 96 and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway seven miles north of Center in northern Shelby County. It was founded around 1904. A post office was in operation there from 1909 until 1911 with Daniel D. Parker as postmaster. From 1933 through 1964 the community reported a population of ten. In 1946 it had a cotton gin, a sawmill, and a store. In 1988 Flat Fork had a store and widely scattered houses. It was still listed as a community in 1990.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Flat Fork, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/flat-fork-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Flat Fork
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379775
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.88100410°
  • Longitude: -94.21103060°
Population Counts
People Year
10 2009