Flat Woods, TX (Nacogdoches County)


By: Christopher Long

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Flat Woods is off Farm Road 225 a mile west of Redland Cemetery in northwestern Nacogdoches County. The site was settled in the 1850s. A school known as Plank House opened there before the Civil War, and the settlement was known for many years as Plank House or Pine Grove. Around 1880 the name Flat Woods came into use. At its height around 1900 the community had a school, several churches, and a sawmill. After World War II the school closed, and many of the residents moved away. In the early 1990s only a few scattered houses remained in the area.

Nacogdoches County Genealogical Society, Nacogdoches County Families (Dallas: Curtis, 1985).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Christopher Long, “Flat Woods, TX (Nacogdoches County),” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 28, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/flat-woods-tx-nacogdoches-county.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Flat Woods
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Nacogdoches County
Associated Names

Pine Grove

Plank House

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.72992200°
  • Longitude: -94.88343500°