Flint Hill, TX


By: Mark Odintz

Type: General Entry

Published: January 1, 1995


Flint Hill is at the intersection of two country roads two miles southeast of Neches and eleven miles northeast of Palestine in eastern Anderson County. In 1932 Flint Hill High School enrolled 257 black pupils; the poverty of the area at the time is indicated by the fact that the Flint Hill school district had the lowest assessed valuation per student in the county. In the 1930s the community comprised the school, a church, a lodge, and several scattered dwellings. The church and the school were still at the site in 1985. By 2000 only a cemetery was shown in the area.

Thomas Paul Jones, The Reorganization of the Public Schools of Anderson County, Texas (M.Ed. thesis, University of Texas, 1934).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Mark Odintz, “Flint Hill, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 23, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/flint-hill-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

January 1, 1995

Place
Flint Hill
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1357484
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Anderson County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.85100260°
  • Longitude: -95.46828650°