Folsom Chapel, TX


By: Cecil Harper, Jr.

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: October 22, 2020


Folsom Chapel, also known as Folsom, is on Farm Road 2026 six miles northwest of Center in northwestern Shelby County. It was established around 1880 and named for a pioneer family. In 1903 it had a one-room, one-teacher school for thirty-three White students. By 1938 the community school had expanded to include four teachers and 115 students. The local district also operated a school nearby for thirty-three Black students. By 1946 both schools had closed. In the late 1980s Folsom Chapel had widely scattered residences and a church, a cemetery, and a business.

Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Cecil Harper, Jr., “Folsom Chapel, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 20, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/folsom-chapel-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
October 22, 2020

Place
Folsom
Currently Exists
Yes
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1379782
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Shelby County
Associated Names

-Chapel

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 31.85211640°
  • Longitude: -94.26075480°
Population Counts
People Year
30 2009