Foot, TX


By: David Minor

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Foot, near Farm Road 2478 about six miles west of McKinney in central Collin County, was named in honor of one of the first settlers in the area, Dr. Gerald (or Gerard) Alexander Foote. Foote was born in Virginia and moved to Texas from Arkansas in the late 1840s. In 1848 he received a Peters colony land certificate for 640 acres. Within forty years his holdings had increased to 2,000 acres and included the Foote settlement, which was a farming and lumbering community. By 1900 it had a store, and on January 16 of the next year it received a post office. In 1903 Foot's post office was discontinued. The community reported a population of fifty from the late 1930s to the late 1940s, when the number dropped to twenty; its population continued to be reported at that level through 1990.

Seymour V. Connor, The Peters Colony of Texas: A History and Biographical Sketches of the Early Settlers (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1959). Roy Franklin Hall and Helen Gibbard Hall, Collin County: Pioneering in North Texas (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975). J. Lee and Lillian J. Stambaugh, A History of Collin County (Austin: Texas State Historical Association, 1958).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

David Minor, “Foot, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed May 17, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/foot-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Foot
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1336007
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Collin County
Associated Names

Luck

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 33.20345010°
  • Longitude: -96.71555120°