Fort Boggy was a two-story log blockhouse built by a company of Texas Rangers in 1839 to protect the settlers between the Navasota and Trinity rivers in what is now Leon County. It was on the north bank of Boggy Creek two miles north of the site of present Leona. The first settlements on the Leon Prairie grew up around Fort Boggy, and the first store in the area was opened there by Moses Campbell. A Thomas Garner built the first sawmill. The community had been dropped from maps by 1941. In 1936 the Texas Centennial Commission erected a marker at the site of the old fort.