Fort Buffalo Springs was at Buffalo Springs, thirty miles north of Jacksboro, Texas, in Clay County. It was occupied by two companies of the Sixth Cavalry deployed from Jacksboro in 1867, with orders to erect substantial buildings. Inadequate water and timber forced the troops to abandon the site, possibly in the same year, and return to Jacksboro, where they established a new post to be named Fort Richardson.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Art Leatherwood, “Fort Buffalo Springs,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed November 29, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fort-buffalo-springs.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.