Fort Chadbourne, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


The Fort Chadbourne community is on a local road and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe line, about eight miles north of Bronte and four miles southwest of old Fort Chadbourne in northeastern Coke County. A small settlement grew up in the area during the 1850s, and a post office operated there from January 1859 to November 1866. After the Civil War, settlers first gathered around the fort but soon established a new town some four miles to the southwest. The Fort Chadbourne post office was reinstated in October 1879. In 1892 the town reported the post office, a general store, and twenty-five citizens. The community was moved about one mile east to a new townsite donated by W. D. McDonald when the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient built through the county about 1910. Soon the settlement had a newspaper, a hotel, a store, a bank, a gin, a school, and two churches; by 1917 it reported a population of sixty-five. By the 1940s, however, only two businesses and a population of fifty were reported. Eventually the school was consolidated with that of Bronte, and the post office closed for good in 1942. Fort Chadbourne had a population of fifty during the 1950s and 1960s; by the 1980s county maps showed only a railroad station at the site, with a cemetery nearby.

M. L. Crimmins, "Experiences of an Army Surgeon at Fort Chadbourne," West Texas Historical Association Year Book 15 (1939). John Leeds Kerr and Frank Donovan, Destination Topolobampo: The Kansas City, Mexico & Orient Railway (San Marino, California: Golden West, 1968). Jewell G. Pritchett, From the Top of Old Hayrick: A Narrative History of Coke County (Abilene, Texas: Pritchett, 1980).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Fort Chadbourne, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fort-chadbourne-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Fort Chadbourne
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1378311
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Coke County
Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.00069460°
  • Longitude: -100.28953970°