Fort Chambers, built during the Civil War, was a small Confederate mud fortification located about halfway between the site of Fort Anahuac and the town of Anahuac in Chambers County. It was built in late 1862 under the direction of Heinrich Mueller of Galveston, who was in the Confederate military service. Its construction came after an inspection of coastal defenses by Commander William W. Hunter of the Confederate Navy in January 1862. The small fort, which was named for Thomas Jefferson Chambers, included two cannons, a twenty-four pounder and a thirty-two pounder. They were later mounted outside the doors of Galveston's Artillery Hall.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
Jewel Horace Harry, A History of Chambers County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1940; rpt., Dallas: Taylor, 1981). Margaret S. Henson and Kevin Ladd, Chambers County: A Pictorial History (Norfolk, Virginia: Donning, 1988). Adele B. Looscan, "The Old Fort at Anahuac," Quarterly of the Texas State Historical Association 2 (July 1898).
- Civil War
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Kevin Ladd, “Fort Chambers,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 27, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fort-chambers.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.