Fort Moore, a Confederate installation at Eagle Grove on Galveston Island, Galveston County, was established soon after the battle of Galveston on January 1, 1863. It was an earthen fortification defended by two thirty-two-pound smoothbores and two eighteen-pound howitzers. The fort was dismantled after the city surrendered to federal troops on June 19, 1865.
Support Texas History Now
Join TSHA to support quality Texas history programs and receive exclusive benefits.
- Civil War
The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.
Maury Darst, “Fort Moore,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed October 27, 2020, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fort-moore.
Published by the Texas State Historical Association.