Fort Picketville, TX


By: Charles G. Davis

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Fort Picketville, also called Picketville, was founded about 1854 on Gunsolus (now Gonzales) Creek, about two miles north of the site of what is now Breckenridge in northeastern Stephens County. The settlement was used by area pioneers during the 1850s and 1860s for collective defense against Indian raids. Picketville was named either for area rancher Bill Picket or for the fact that houses in the community were built from picket posts. The town served as the first county seat, from 1858 to 1864. During its short existence and in spite of substantial Indian activity, the town maintained a school and was the community center for the surrounding region. After Breckenridge was established as county seat in the 1870s, Fort Picketville was abandoned.

Betty E. Hanna, Doodle Bugs and Cactus Berries: A Historical Sketch of Stephens County (Quanah, Texas: Nortex, 1975). Loy W. Hartsfield, A History of Stephens County (M.A. thesis, University of Texas, 1929).
Places:
  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Charles G. Davis, “Fort Picketville, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 27, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fort-picketville-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Place
Picketville
Currently Exists
No
Place Type
Town
USGS ID
1343961
Town Fields
  • Has post office: No
  • Is Incorporated: No
Belongs to
  • Stephens County
Associated Names

Fort-

Breckenridge

Coordinates
  • Latitude: 32.77512070°
  • Longitude: -98.89840090°