Fort Prairie, TX

By: Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Fort Prairie was five miles east of Austin near the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad in Travis County. It formed in the 1880s. A post office called John, for John Grove, the first postmaster, was established at Fort Prairie in 1895; it was discontinued in 1901. The community reported a population of 102 in 1904 and ten in 1910. In the early 1930s Fort Prairie reported having two businesses.

John J. Germann and Myron Janzen, Texas Post Offices by County (1986).

Places:

  • Communities

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Vivian Elizabeth Smyrl, “Fort Prairie, TX,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 19, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fort-prairie-tx.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Loading