Fort Ramirez

By: Art Leatherwood

Type: General Entry

Published: 1952

Updated: January 1, 1995


Fort Ramírez was a fortified ranchhouse built by the Ramírez family on the west bank of the Nueces River in southern Live Oak County. The building was never a fort, but it was the first permanent structure in Live Oak County. The Ramirez family left the area in 1813. Local legends of buried treasure nearby resulted in destruction of the house.

J. Frank Dobie, Coronado's Children: Tales of Lost Mines and Buried Treasures of the Southwest (New York: Garden City, 1930). J. Frank Dobie, Some Part of Myself (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1967). Ray Miller, Ray Miller's Texas Forts (Houston: Cordovan, 1985).

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Art Leatherwood, “Fort Ramirez,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed January 26, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fort-ramirez.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1952
January 1, 1995

Loading