Fort Worth and Denver Northern Railway


By: Chris Cravens

Type: General Entry

Published: 1976

Updated: August 2, 2020


The Fort Worth and Denver Northern Railway Company was chartered by the Burlington system on May 20, 1929. The road was to build from Childress north to Shamrock in Wheeler County and then northwest to Pampa in Gray County, a distance of 110 miles. The initial capital was $110,000, and the business office was in Childress. Members of the first board of directors included John A. Hulen of Houston; F. E. Williamson and C. E. Spens, both from Chicago, Illinois; and Khleber M. Van Zandt, F. E. Clarity, T. B. Yarbrough, J. H. Barwise, W. C. Logan, and W. O. Hamilton, all from Fort Worth. The 110 miles of track from Childress north to Shamrock in Wheeler County and then northwest to Pampa in Gray County was completed on July 15, 1932. The road was leased to the Fort Worth and Denver City for operation and merged into that company on June 13, 1952. The section between Wellington and Pampa was abandoned in 1970.

Places:
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Region
  • Fort Worth
  • North Texas

The following, adapted from the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition, is the preferred citation for this entry.

Chris Cravens, “Fort Worth and Denver Northern Railway,” Handbook of Texas Online, accessed June 29, 2022, https://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/entries/fort-worth-and-denver-northern-railway.

Published by the Texas State Historical Association.

1976
August 2, 2020

This entry belongs to the following Handbook Special Projects: