The Fort Worth Belt Railway was a terminal line with 3.2 miles of mainline track and 15.27 miles of yard track and sidings. It was incorporated as the Fort Worth Stockyards and Belt Railway Company on November 26, 1895, and the name was changed to Fort Worth Belt on January 22, 1903. The business office was located at Fort Worth. Members of the first board of directors included George B. Robbins, J. B. Googins, O. W. Matthews, W. B. King, W. B. Robbins, W. O. Johnson, and H. C. Gardner.
The company laid thirteen miles of track in Fort Worth in 1904–05 and two miles in 1913. Although it was originally intended as a belt railway, the railroad operated as a switching line for the Fort Worth railroads and a plant facility for industries. It served several large meat, provision, grain, and produce companies in north Fort Worth, but its primary customers were the Fort Worth Stockyards Company and the Armour and Swift packing companies. In 1931, in compliance with a United States Supreme Court ruling that required all packing concerns to dispose of their interest in terminal railroads and stockyards, the Fort Worth Stockyards Company made arrangements to sell the railway. On May 31, 1931, an agreement was signed, subject to the approval of the Interstate Commerce Commission, by which the road was acquired by the Republic National Company, which then contracted to sell 60 percent interest, valued at $900,000, to the Texas and Pacific Railway Company. Application for approval was filed on August 19, 1931, but the application was denied in March 1932, when the commission ruled that the price was too high. Sale was authorized, however, at $700,000. The Fort Worth Belt was merged into the Missouri Pacific Railroad Company on November 1, 1978.